Tax Free Allowance - Trading and Property Income

In 2017, the government introduced two new annual tax allowances for individuals amounting to £1,000 each: one for trading income (sole traders only), and one for income from land or property.

These allowances are not available if the income is from a partnership or a private limited company.


The allowances were introduced on 6 April 2017 for the 2017/18 tax year and beyond, allowing those with small amounts of income to simplify their personal tax arrangements in certain situations. If you have both types of income, you can claim £1,000 allowance for each.

If your income from trading or from land or property is more than £1,000, the allowances can be used to reduce your taxable income.

For jointly owned property each you are eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.


You cannot however use the £1,000 allowance and, at the same time, claim tax relief for expenses so you need to compare the amount of expenses you incur against the £1,000 allowance to see which is the most efficient.

If you would like further information, please contact us.

Good Accountancy

Contact us on 01420 525 020 or
for advice or to discuss how we can help.